View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #135
theastronaut

Re: 1940 Packard 120 Convertible Restoration

I cut the jump-seat base out and made a new panel. This was an easy piece to make... the rest of the rear seat area kicked my butt...

Like the middle pans, the only thing I had to go by for the rear pans were the pictures and measurments taken earlier from another car. I made a (really) rough draft of a template to start mapping out the bead lines and body mount areas. The pictures I had were barely adequate to get the measurements correct, so there were a couple areas that all I could do was make the proportions look right. I doubt there will be any show judges crawling on their backs under the car with tape measures. Once I had the rough template in the car I made some corrections and transferred that to translucent paper. That template still needed some fine tuning before I could transfer the pattern to sheetmetal.

The rear pans are mirrored so I can flip the pattern and use it for both sides.

Checking the fit of the right rear pan. It's not in there straight since the outer rear edge needs to be turned down into a flange to fit against the fenderwell. Once that's done it'll slide all the way back into place. I'm 90% finished with the left pan so I can start welding the inner/outer rockers, quarter, and front lower cowl panels in place. The inner/outer rockers sandwich the floor pans so I needed to have all of the pans done before anything else could be welded in for good.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote