View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #38
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

So far I have done a bit of clean up on the cab. I’ve stripped just about everything out of it. The interior had been a mouse motel for who knows how long. I bet I have a good 40 hours stripping out the interior, cleaning, and blowing out all the nooks and crevices. Because of the mice, I scrubbed out the interior with hospital grade germicidal cleaner and flushed out the cab as best I could.

I went ahead and removed the lower seat surround. I have split bench seat out of a 60’s Chevelle that I think should work well. To get the lower seat surround off I used a saws all to first cut it down then I came back with a chisel point on my air hammer.

A flexible scraper on my Dremel multi tool made quick work of removing all the factory insulation.

The cab is fairly solid. No rust on the bottom of the doors. Some through rust on the cab corners but it’s on the bottom edge where you have to get down to see it. There’s also some rust through on the both the drivers and passengers side where toe board meets the floor. I don’t plan on doing much patching now. I’m more focused on getting it mechanically complete then go back and do some of the body work.

My daughter Emily is always interested in what I’m up to. I hope to get another project in the future where I can actually get the kids involved.

Also got the body stripped down. The bed wood wasn’t in all that good of shape so most of it got tossed. I did save the metal strapping off of it. I also pulled the hood and front clip to get the cab ready to move over to the S10 chassis.

Before I pulled the front clip I marked the fenders where the wheels lined up. The big tires and wheels on the truck made it easier to see that the wheels were centered in the front wheel wells. I first jacked up the front a little to level the cab, then dropped a plum bob and centered it on the front axle, then marked the fender. That way, I can then use this as a reference point when mounting the sheet metal on the S10 chassis.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 08-25-2015 at 04:05 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote