View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
JPutnam

Re: I always wanted a sweet old truck

work on this has been real slow. too busy remodeling my duplex and working long hours at work.

I boxed the lower control arms. I grabbed some 3in strap and ended up making it 2 3/4in deep by the balljoints up to 3in deep at the other end.

then wire wheeled them a bit.

spray painted them black and got new balljoints.
the first set of ball joints didnt remotely fit. I have no idea what they are for. I ordered them online for a 1966 gmc 1000. but obviously they arent right.

then I went to the local parts store and picked up the right balljoints.

They still didnt work. too big.

at this point I was severely stumped. my truck is a 1966 GMC 1000. after poking around for a bit I found that my control arms(at least, if not all the suspension) are from a 1964 or 1965 and have different balljoints. I did notice that at some point someone painted the truck white. I think it used to be a gray. the primer that is showing through on the hood and front end is different color than on the rest of the truck. I assume someone wrecked it many years ago and threw 64 or 65 front end parts on. who knows though.

I completely rebuilt thr front brakes aswell as bolted up the lower control arms and bags.

After wire wheel.

a bit of paint

all new

and the control arms and bags installed. I upgraded to some newer u bolts. drilled the holes bigger. I would suggest buying a newer subframe as drilling was a pain.

I am also kinda kicking myself for not pulling the trigger and doing disc brakes. I had already ordered all the new drum stuff when I bought the truck and already installed the new(drum) brake master. but now, after doing all this work I wish I had just gone with discs.

Last edited by JPutnam; 07-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.
JPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote