View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Re: I Know SQUAT About Spraying Automotive Paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
....The 'tooth' was perfect for paint adhesion...
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

Quote:
....My personal recommendation is that you do the same and take advantage of the relatively dry air in Pasadena. Putting anything on the surface that changes the chemical composition of the raw steel is asking for trouble. The only exception to this is if it gets some surface rust between when you blast it and when you can prime it....
So you're saying if I get to it immediately - and I would, I'd take the next day or two off work to spray it - to just blow off remaining dust and do NOTHING to wipe down the metal? Not Metal Prep, acetone, lacquer thinner, nothing?

Quote:
....If you can't get to it for a significant period of time, I'd ask your blaster to prime it for you rather than dragging it home and letting it set then treating it with chemical to clean the rust prior to painting or haul it from the blaster straight to the painter
The blaster does powder coating but not paint. They don't offer it. I know not to touch the metal with bare hands, I'll use gloves. But then I figured I'd still have to wipe the whole thing down with something.

I'd also stay away from any acid etch primers and go with a straight epoxy like the Southern Poly. Like I said, I know nothing about automotive paint so I know nothing about primers either. I figured someone would recommend a specific primer ala Southern Polyurethanes above but I have gone to their site to see what they offer yet.

Quote:
....Spraying the inside of the fenders to get the knack of laying down a reasonable coat is what I did too.
Talking with a co-worker that does some painting on the side with an auto painter buddy (reader's eyes are rolling! lol) his buddy claims if the gun is setup up right to give me a uniform 8" spray pattern and if I spray from about 12" with no wrist action I should get decent results even with minimal experience. I'm hoping this is true and I can carry it off. The only thing to do at this point is to get a quote from a painter I know on spraying the epoxy vs. just doing it myself.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-07-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote