View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #2157
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Love the wheel, tire, hubcap combo! Can you explain the mods you did on them? Not like I'll get that far on mine anytime soon
The hub caps are different from 1/2 tons to 3/4 tons. I never paid any attention to it. The 1/2 ton ones are dished in, on the center, and the 3/4 ton ones are dished out to clear the hubs. Although, the half ton ones fir on my wheels even with a D80. I used an acetylene tank cap with the rounded end down, put a block of wood on top of it, placed the hub cap on a card board box with the center in a folded end. I got everything set, then centered the tank cap in the center of the bow tie in the hub cap. I smacked the block of wood with a big hammer. It doesn't take much to get it to go out. But it does take some work to keep it from moving back in. I ended up taking a large bearing race driver cone and putting it on the inside diameter of the rolled bead in the hub cap. I smacked it multiple times to help set a memory in the hub cap to keep the center from popping back in. It worked pretty nice. My hub caps were for 73-75's, so I had to paint the bow ties blue.

The fronts. I had one with a hacked hole cut in it and another with a very ugly center. I used a die grinder and a carbide bit to frind a better circle in the center of the hub cap on th eone that was already hacked. On the one with a bad center, I drilled a hole in the center, then used the gas axe to cut a circle around the stamped circle in the center. I then used the die grinder and ground it smooth. Once that was done I used a flap disc on a die grinder and sanded/smoothed the openings. That's about all the mods I had to do to the hub caps other than straighten some dings and dents out of a couple. The fronts aren't perfect, but who makes them for D60 front hubs any way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Your truck looks great Ryan! Digging the gauges too.
Thanks Mike.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote