View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
Super73

Re: Need help with truck 60'

It is nice to see someone bring their homework to class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnut View Post
truck weighed 2500 front 1500 rear less than a year ago and not much has changed since then.

I had a front spring prior to this that sat on the bumpstops and recently switched to these to get it off the bumpstops
-Did this spring change put you at your desired ride height? (10” compressed height)
-I am assuming the front of the truck came up a little with the spring change? If so your front/rear weights likely have changed some with the ride height change in the front. You should re-weigh the truck to be sure. Remember, you want the weight with you in the truck.

Quote:
Moog #6082
Spring rate 722
2400 lb load
10" install height
13.18 free height
-Wow.. 722lbs is extremely stiff. No wonder there is zero weight xfer.
-Did a little math for you based on the weights you provided above along with the assumption your ride height with a 10” compressed spring height is what you desire.
-18” spring = 280lb rate
-17” Spring = 320lb rate
-16” spring = 375lb rate

-You will get little movement with a loose shock/stiff spring because there is no stored energy
-For your weight/power level, I would probably steer you towards the 18” spring provided you can compress it 8” without inducing coil bind.
-CE 3-way adjustable shocks are not great when it comes to control, they just aren’t very adjustable and you can’t clamp the explosively fast extension you’ll see from a long/light spring.
-I suggest a shock change to help control the above recommended springs.
-I recently switched to a stiffer spring as my Rancho 9000’s could not control the 17.75” 170lb spring that was in my truck. I plan to complete my MII front end at some point and did not want to buy $1,000 shocks twice.

Quote:
200 lb springs on the coilovers.
Qa1 part # DD501
I have the springs setup with very little preload. 12" long spring

Rear shocks have 18 settings per knob. Currently between 12-16 from full loose on compression and 4 clicks from full loose on rebound reading over my notes I have at home
-Looks like the shock has a total of 5.375” of travel.
-You mention there is little preload but is the shock in the middle (2.7” extension / 2.7” compression available)?
-How much available preload do you have?
-Taking a wild guess that your rear spring is compressed to 9.25-9.5” at ride height?
-I want to suggest a different spring, but need the info for above.
-For starting bound I would suggest 8 clicks from the loosest (middle)
-For starting rebound I would suggest 4-5 from the tightest

Did you get a chance to measure the height of the rear LCA bolt?
-This will affect instant center, shock setting may be different depending on antisquat percentage.
-Without knowing center of gravity height, we will be guessing antisquat percentage.
-But a lower IC will have a lower AS percentage
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49

Last edited by Super73; 07-22-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote