View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
FirstOwner69

Re: Tips for polishing stainless windshield trim needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC10 View Post
Update, after calling Eastwood a few times, and sending an email with no response. I headed down to Harbor Freight, and got black, green, white and blue compound.

I then went to Lowe's and purchased a spiral and loose cotton wheel. http://www.lowes.com/pd_548873-16878-BTA30739___

Hooked all these things up and started polishing.

A few things that I had problems with:

1. I had to use a metal file to level out a few spots. But the scratches I created are taking FOREVER to buff out with the black compound and spiral wheel. Is this due to cheap HFrieght compound that I bought, or should I attack it first with sand paper, before using the polisher?

2. Do I really need a third softer flannel wheel to make the stainless steel really shine using the blue compound? Or will the loose cotton wheel be suffice?

3. Any products or coatings that are recommended to protect the steel by slowing down oxidation? I heard some good things about a product called Diamond Blue Clear?

Thanks in advance!
A clean fine file is an OK start if used with little pressure, but then use sandpaper in increasingly fine grit to smooth it out. After using a file, I'd start with 220 grit then 300, 600, and 1000, followed with the finer grits and ultra fine steel wool as mentioned above. It takes a lot of time and patience, but the results are worth it. I have no idea how the Harbor Freight compounds and Lowe's buffing wheels compare to Eastwood's. The flannel wheels do add a little more luster. They also have a much greater tendency to grab the piece you are polishing so be careful and work slowly.

Stainless does not normally oxidize. Normal wear and tear on the road are what usually affects it. If it's in good shape, all I've ever used is car wax.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote