View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Gotenntitans

Re: Learned valuable lessons today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Should the comic book store check with the parents before they sell a teenager a comic book? How about Best Buy before they sell the kid an expensive TV for his video game system? Or the bike shop before they sell a kid a $1,000 bicycle?
I have read some of your posts over time, I remember a few about your kid playing football, and you seem like a great guy with a great kid. I am not trying to talk down to you, just trying to show the other side of the coin.

I think kids need to talk to their parents before spending a bunch of money, not the shop owner talk to the parents to make sure the kid has the parents permission. I say this as a father with two sons. Two sons who can't save a dime, but they are only 8 and 9 and are spending it on legos and the like. I remember doing the same thing, and I think those wasteful years helped to teach me a lot of lessons which is why I work so hard today and don't spend a lot on toys. I love it when my kids see something new and don't have any cash because they spent it all the day before. Those are important lessons.
Good points and I can see things from your side. Although I wouldn't expect a store owner to verify with Mom & Dad before selling a comic book; I do still believe that they should check before what I would consider major purchases. For one thing, I would find it a little odd for teens to have hundreds of dollars of cash to spend on anything. I'm a high school math teacher and I've seen teens with large sums of money before. Where would a teen get hundreds of dollars? We report what we've observed to the high school principal's office and parents are notified that day. Most kids just don't carry lots on cash on them.

If I were a shop owner, I think I would think maybe Mom & Dad should approve BEFORE I install a stereo, a set of tires, a new exhaust system, etc. My thinking is this.....a TV or bicycle can be taken back and returned with relatively no problem on the seller if Mom & Dad make them return it. Items installed on vehicles, for instance, cannot just easily be returned. Just about as much trouble to return as it was to install. What if a kid goes to the tire store and has some new $$$ tires/ wheels installed, then Dad finds out later. What if a kid goes and has the local muffler shop put on some loud pipes on a vehicle, then Dad doesn't find out until he hears it rumble up? The kid should get parent's approval, but what if they don't and just go clean out their savings OR steal & pawn something and come home with expensive stuff that can't be returned?

Just not a good thing, in my opinion. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote