View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #22
JPBrecheisen

Re: Help with 22.5 Wheels/Tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith cservak View Post
Jonathon That truck is awesome how does it go down the road with the new sneakers as good as you where hoping.
Keith.
Thank you. I am pretty happy with it. The radials seem to make a decent amount of improvement in the ride. It didn't ride "bad" before, but the radials seem to have softened up some of the harsh bumps found on some frost-weathered northern roads. The tire guy did not do any balancing on the tires when they were mounted. He said re-caps are often difficult to balance and due to the low speed this truck typically sees, I probably wouldn't have an issue. He was right on the money. I didn't notice any tire balance related vibrations at all. The wheels seem to be a good product. The wheel/tire combo is a tad taller than the original, which is what i wanted. I wanted the taller tire to help the top end road speed a little bit. While there is an improvement, I'm sort of thinking I may need to do a gear change at some point. I'd like to be able to hit 55 without running the engine at such high RPM if I can get away with it. That will be probably next years project.

The big reason I had to switch the wheels was due to the old Firestone RH-5 split wheels. I got into this project without the knowledge of those wheels and found by talking to most experience big-truck hobbyists that they are not recommended due to safety reasons and thier history of accidents.

I like the new set up. I do think the truck seems to run/ride a little better and because they are taller, I get a few MPH out of it. The larger tires look a little nicer too in my opinion. I was hoping to get a set of the original style tubless wheels, but I couldn't find a full set. I am ok with these ones. I think they look ok now that I've had a chance to look at them for a while.
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote