View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: "Budget" air kit definitions please!

$2500 ALL IN is what I would consider a legit budget kit, assuming (as mentioned above) that the quality of all peices is comparable to parts one would put together themselves.

Here's why:
Most likely the kit would be 3link as its the cheapest/simplest design, and can be very easily setup for multiple generations of trucks minimizing your costs on multiple SKU's for the kit.
The kit would contain convoluted bags and not sleeve bags. I feel sleeve bags are inferior, but often what get tossed into "cheap" kits. Also, that the size of the bags be appropriate for the vehicle in question (i.e. not selling people a 5" bag for a 3500 truck rear).
The kit would contain at minimum enough valves and switches for FB, and use quality rebuildable brass valves.
A control box for FB
A decent volume compressor and at minimum 10gal of tank space.
The kit would contain DOT line, assortment of fittings, and a cutting tool.
The kit would contain shock relocation mounts if needed (but NOT include shocks, which I feel is a place best left to the consumer to spend what their budget allows).

Putting all that together yourself can come in under $2500, but nickle and dime things like fittings, switches etc are the things that seems to really skyrocket the cost. That $2500 pricetag would basically ensure enough material to setup almost any generation of truck, and have enough room in the margin that you wouldn't have to try to "make up" the margin on other parts later. It would also be cheap enough that someone wanting to go FBSS, or add compressors or tanks..would have enough room in say a $5k budget to do so and still come out ahead.

In general, I also feel that $2500 seems to be the breaking point for the single-purchase budget of most middle class enthusiasts. Its cheap enough that a highschool or college kid who works hard and saves can afford it in a summer or two, or that a family man can write the check and still pay his mortgage that month.......yet its expensive enough that the expectation of paying for quality still exists.

Can someone build their own kit and have it cost $500, sure. Can someone build their own kit and have it cost $15k, hell yes its happened (double cantilever on air cylinders)....but I think $2500 is cheap enough to be "worth it" even for a DIY'er who was considering piecing it together.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote