View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #30
paulspickupparts

Re: TF running hotter on highway than in-town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
All my highway testing was with the air on. 210 after 10 miles.

I did both ways for in-town testing. 192-196 air on and 190 off but the fan cycles at that so it's possible it would even go cooler with the A/C off if the fan would stay going.

All tests were at 95 ambient give or take a degree or two.

You wouldn't think my unloaded truck on relatively flat highway going 65 mph at 2000 rpm would put much heat stress on the radiator with the 700R4.
Sorry for not reading you original post thoroughly .

If you are running 192-196 air on and 190 off you have a very good cooling system. The reason I say this is that I believe you stated your fan does not kick on until 190 . So for your engine to run at the above temps in 95 degree outside air temperature is very good . I will say that your thermostat which is 180 is doing very little other than bringing your engine up to operating temp more quickly. Your fan switch set at 190 has become your engine thermostat. Would be interesting to see what temps would be with the fan on all the time (that would be easy to do as a temporary test)

My question is what is your engine temp after 10 miles on the highway with the air conditioning off?

I agree that you would not think your tranny would cause this . Just trying to see what changed from your city driving to highway driving which is causing a rise in engine temp. First thing I would do is take it for a drive on the highway without the air on. Hopefully you can duplicate that 95 outside air temp. Driving on a 70 degree day will skew the test.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote