View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #46
roger55

Re: TF running hotter on highway than in-town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
After a re-read...
Y'know, your truck is actually performing exactly as I would expect it to with a 180* thermostat. Hop in a new truck and drive it around town for five minutes. It comes up to 210*. Now hitch a trailer to it and drive balls-out up a highway grade. It's probably still at 210*. If you swap the t-stat for a 180* you'll only decrease operating temperatures under low load conditions - and it will still find it's sweet spot at 210 under high load.

If I was still an auto mechanic and somebody came in asking me to diagnose this, I'd tell them "operating as designed"
New cars/trucks are designed to run that way and the temperature is controlled with the fan and not the thermostat.

New cars/trucks are designed to run that way and the temperature is controlled with the fan and not the thermostat.

My '55 Bel Air has a 180 thermostat.
With that one, I'm running a cross-flow radiator with dual 14" electric fans. Has A/C.
It never runs over 190 in any condition. I don't tow anything with it of course. But on grades at 105 out and it stays below 190. I'm controlling the temperature with the fans on that too and I could make it run even cooler if I wanted to but I don't want it to fight the 180 thermostat.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote