View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #50
1project2many

Re: TF running hotter on highway than in-town.

Camaros and 'Vettes have such a low coefficient of drag that the timing tables often run a bit more advanced than what works best for a larger vehicle. Engine MAP on the highway is about 54 kPa in the data screen you posted. I'd expect to see this value a little lower although with A/C running it's not too unreasonable for a truck. I'd also expect to see low to mid 40 in a Camaro at the same speed.

It only takes a few degrees additional timing to bring coolant and oil temperature up considerably and EGR, when operating, counters the effects of excess advance slightly. I'd say that the displayed advance is a bit high for your application. TBI trucks, with similar design heads, often end up around 30-34 deg advanced in OE cals and they use EGR. If too much timing is causing a problem then decreasing base timing 2-4 degrees using the distributor should provide some improvement.

Do you happen to have the four letter code off the original ecm or the chip? I'm just curious to see if I have a copy of that file here to look at.

Hopefully this issue is as simple as needing more openings in the shroud.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote