View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #535
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

This past week I was able to finish off the truck gremlins. I installed the new ecu in the vintage air unit which fixed the blower issue. Now I have heat and soon AC. Just in time I got the speedometer set correctly and the new water pump fixed my leak. Ahhhhhhh. So, to celebrate I purchased some LED bulbs for the cargo, courtesy, tag, glovebox and AC controls to complete the LED bulb replacements. Now the entire interior is LED. I used superbrightled.com as my source. They have about every bulb imaginable in LED.

After getting the interior finished up, my speakers sounded pretty anemic. The custom steel trim panels for speakers behind the seats look great, but offer little in terms of speaker sound reinforcement. I needed to enclose them. I built 2 steel enclosures off of a template to seal up the area behind the speakers and that seems to have been the trick. It improved sound a lot. I do need to add a single subwoofer to the system and that shouldn't be a problem with the enclosure I built behind the seat. I just need to upgrade the amp to drive everything.

That will be a bit as the amp is expensive.

As for the vibration, I took the driveshaft off and back to the company that modified it for me. They checked it for balance and it was 3/8 off.
Bingo!!! They fixed it for free. I reinstalled it and the vibration is gone. Hopefully there isn't something going on that throws it out of balance. If there is I have never heard of that happening. Bad yoke etc.?? who knows. What a difference though now as it's soooo much smoother to drive.

Now that I have some confidence in the truck, I started testing the power a little bit. On sunday, I hammered the pedal at a stop light and much to my surprise, broke the tires loose and got pretty sideways. The LS motors are just amazing. Reliable, decent mileage and plenty of power in reserve. couldn't be happier with that decision.