Thread: 5k to spend!!
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #29
CC69Rat

Re: 5k to spend!!

Great looking truck and I think you're right on track. If I were you I'd drive the truck for a little bit and just make sure the gas tank is cleaned, fresh gas in it.. get it running good and dependable. Make sure there are no issues with the transmission , big expensive stuff that if it breaks and you have $5k in wheels and tires, drop and bilg brakes then you have no money to get it back on the road.

Dependable first, then maybe a front sway bar and consider a disc brake upgrade.

Have you thought about a donor truck? Maybe find a rough 72 on Craigslist and get your disc brake stuff off of it. Booster, Center Link etc. Sell the rest for scrap or part it out and you'd probably make money on the deal. Drop spindles for $200 bucks and you're good up front.

When you lower the front think about your stock springs. They're what 40+ yrs old? Chances are they have sagged a little. The truck is probably sitting about an inch or two lower now than it did originally. What I'm saying is just 2" drop springs won't give you a 2" total net drop. Drop spindles definitely will. 2" NEW dropped springs will be almost the same as your stock springs.

If you're going with 5 lug (?) You could get the rear end out of your donor truck (?) Update the seals and bearings, new brake job and you're good.

If it were me I'd do 3" dropped springs in the back then use a 1 or 2" block under the axle to get it exactly where you want it. The truck will ride better because of the angle of the rear shocks. They won't be 'laid out' as far horizontally. Also with more spring compression and travel it will give you an overall better ride. 3" spring, 2" block .. instead of just a 5" spring. That way you're not totally committed one way or the other and you won't take all of the "truck" out of it if you need to haul a trailer or whatever.

Just my thoughts
Chad

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote