View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Started my day today by unpacking last weeks parts, second coating and also adding more painted parts.

Starting to feel good now.

Then had Mickey around to help me get what is left of the truck onto the little wagon I bought last year, and then to pull it out of the garage.

I also raised it quite a bit above the wagon floor level, in order to get under it to work.

Found this plate welded up over the underside of the floor.

It has become apparent that this truck was a manual shift at some point in its life.

The old manual gearbox cross member was partially hacked out with a grinder before.
Today I raised the cab after removing the cab mount bolts and shifting the load bed backward on the chassis.
When I was cleaning the chassis before, I knocked my hand on this sharp edge, thankfully on the blunt side, why do people do such rubbish work?

Cutting the rivets away.

Also found that when I removed the cab mounting rubbers I will be needing a pair of the front upper rubbers as they have a rubber grommet/liner cast in, and both are rotten. I hope LMC/Brothers sell the upper rubbers separately.

I bought this at Wheels day to fit to my truck.

Understood to be from a Chevy Day van of unknown vintage.

I was wondering if anyone knows what it's cable operated section is for?

If you turn the ignition key beack and push it in after turning it to the "off" position, it activates a cable in there, but then you cannot remove the ignition key.

This component is in the way where I need to fit the column,so needs to be removed, but I have no idea what it's purpose is.

Advice and help appreciated.

Ohhhh, and I got the day off for truck time, in exchange for Nicola and her best mate since they were 11 years old going to a 1940's Murder mystery evening.

They were happy, I had some progress, a BBQ and mate Martin around to hep pull my steering column and help me check out the fit of the one I bought at Wheels day.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote