View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
hugger6933

Re: Separateing Bed Panels for Paint BACK SIDE?

Now are you talking about splitting the inner skin from the outer? I have done several that way and have a pair right now that is split and just bolted together [to keep from messing them up ]and sitting out behind my shop right now. Now if you haven't done something of this magnitude, I would tell you to think twice. It is a pretty labor intensive and I have been doing this type work for 30 years [close to it] and I would put it high up on the difficulty meter.
But if your gonna do it get 2 drills one with a double ended 1/8 inch bit and the second with a step bit. [2 drill keep you from changing back and forth]Now there is gonna be somewhere around 100 to 150 spot welds and when you start to split the sides you always find that you have missed some or drilled off to the side of the center and you have [hangers is what I call them] that may have been drilled but off to the side and those cause trouble.
Now after you get them split, prime all but the mating surfaces and then coat them with weld through primer on the mating surface plus the three or so inches past that area. The weld through can and will hold down the corrosion and won't get burned.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote