View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #98
Blown06

Re: Project: "ResuWrecktion" '71 Custom Deluxe C-10

Friday night when I got home from work my wife was on my butt to mow the grass around the area where I have truck parts in the backyard. Mainly the grass under the saw horses where the frame rails are sitting. I've been putting it off but since she asked nicely I took the time to move everything and mow the grass.

That's when everything changed! I have been trying to continue working on the cab before I start on the frame even though I really dislike body work. After moving the frame around I just couldn't help myself, moved stuff around in the garage and brought the frame rails inside to start assembling the chassis.

Rear bed mount from Porterbuilt requires cutting the frame rail and installing their drop bracket, this is part of the bolt on body drop kit.
I measured 9" to be removed from the original rail and made an 18" reference mark prior to cutting.

Short wheelbase frames probably wouldn't have this gap at the bottom of the bracket. I sliced the frame rail in the corner and bent the lower lip down to meet the bracket, then welded it back up. None of my pics turned out very good of that but I'll try to get one in a few days. I also decided to weld the brackets on instead of bolting them, I liked how Pinky6772 did his so I swiped his idea and hope my execution comes close to his.

The inner frame structure is in with 2/3 of the frame brackets, the front brackets aren't lining up the way I had hoped for bolting them in so I've decided to weld them in and just bolt the IFS to them. I should be able to do away with a bunch of visible hardware going that route.

Got the frame on rollers, haha I would have never thought of using furniture dollies and jackstands to move car parts but I've seen several members doing it on here and liked the idea. Plus I had dollies in the storage building.

At least this way I can move it around now and sweep under it as I go.

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote