View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Rear gear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
Since the wifes new(to us)vehicle broke down (long story on that) i am now daily driving my truck again. I am very happy with this and would have all the time but couldnt justify letting a vehicle sit that cost me money monthly unlike the truck. Any ways, i will be driving my truck everyday for a few months til next spring. It is a '72 C20 with 4.11 rear gearing. i drive 7 miles to work and with our winters here i would like to change the gears from being a one-wheel-wonder open diff. for better traction when its not so nice out. This was built a work truck when new and still is so i do not want to compromise that. I pull a trailer from time to time also. what is your opinions? what are you running or had good luck with? ive done some research and liked the sound of a powertrax system. are these suitable for my needs?
The thing about a powertrax is they 'cog' when going around corners. This isn't bad if you're making a 90 degree turn from a stop in snow but get into a fairly sharp turn at 30 mph in snow and your powertrax can spin you when it cogs. An Eaton center is a clutched unit and will engage and disengage smoothly. Mo Bettah for driving in snow.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote