View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #43
trukman1

Re: The 67-72 One Ton Brake Booster Swap Guide ***PICS***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd77 View Post
So, your telling me I should replace my brake master cylinder, that was replaced less than a year a go, and works perfectly, because I put a new booster on? That makes no sense. If its isnt broke, Im not going to fix it. If the master cylinder does go out, I will be replacing it with a 1/2 ton master cylinder. The brakes work twice as good as they did before, so there is no need for the 1 ton master cylinder. It just makes it a pain, to have to switch brake lines around....
If you have a M/C that works great then, well, great. I would like to caution members about buying the rebuilt units. I bought a rebuilt unit and was driving down the road with working brakes most of the time but sometimes I'd go to stop and no brakes! I replaced that M/C two more times, (warrantied for life deal) same thing. At this point I'm thinking it has to be something else. Local mechanic asked if I was buying rebuilt units...yup! He said to buy a new unit and, walla, brakes worked fine. He said as the units get old the bore wears. When the units are rebuilt they are not re-bored and fitted with a larger piston, just the O-rings and seals are replaced. He said that it can cause the piston to hang-up in the bore and the fluid to pass around it giving you...no braking power. Bought a new unit for only $10 more than the rebuilt and no more problems. Just thought I'd let people know so they can avoid the problem I had. YMMV.