View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Another weekend that seems to have played into my hands........

Nicola wanted to go check up on her son at university, carry in food, soap powder, books and also see her daughter. Unfortunately, at age 20 and 24 the kids have no interest in me or use for me........ It does hurt, but hey, they have a good father and my wife is a great mother, so I should not take it personally I guess.

So today I had an early appointment with mate Martin to go to Maidstone to see if we cold get the ball joints pressed into the lower wishbones at one of his dealers, but alas, no luck.

Then down to The Money Shop to get some pounds changed to dollars, including a guaranteed fixed price buyback for £4.00

From there back to his place to drop him off, move his chassis about.

Then home to get started on cleaning up the rear half of the chassis and diff etc. but only after coffee and a sandwich as it is now lunchtime.

As I made the coffee, I heard a motorbike pull up outside and it ends up being my buddy Kevin who came over to show off his new R1200GSA

So in the end, we went for a ride, he on my bike and me on his, well, now I have serious bike envy. In the end we parked up in Rochestwr and had a coffee and chat, then home.

Once back home and in my garage clothes I started to clean the rear half of the chassis, but soon realised that I would have to remove the rear mounted tank as well. Found this damage where the breather had been bodged into place with some form of epoxy.

So I emptied the rancid, dirty petrol, after getting a mouthful when siphoning to start off the pipe. Jacked up at an angle, I got pretty much all of it out.

Dropped it with the jack after undoing the steel strap under it.

Then scraped and cleaned the tank, followed by a petrol wash, and then allowed it to dry.

Once dried off, I painted the rust converter as well and shut shop to allow the tank to dry. A lot of rust on the surface.

Finished here tonight.

So tomorrow it is back to cleaning up the chassis, then petrol rust converter and possibly paint.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote