View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #84
GAc10boy

Re: "Oaky" Farm Fresh '73 Short Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
Have you torn into your 307 yet? At one point my 307 had a very similar combination of parts to what you've listed (-416 heads and a Comp 262XE). I didn't really like it. There's not enough torque to move the truck around. If I were to use those heads again, I would match them to this Ultradyne cam:

254/262 112 .401/.432 199/207 Great in 305's bigger & better mileage and power. Smooth idle, broad power range. Works with stock valve train, power accessories. Biggest cam recommended for high altitudes. Great in 305 IROC-Z with TPI. IDLE-4800

The Ultradyne cams are now manufactured by Lunati. Here's a link to the cam at Lunati's site

Here's a quote from UDHarold, the cam designer:

Food for thought! Great looking truck, by the way.
Thanks, burger! Based on overwhelming recommendations, I'm planning to use the Lunati 60101 (<---- old p/n) (256/262, Lift .454/.468) also developed by UDHarold for Lunati. It's powerband is supposed to be from idle to 5500 rpm and I already have the heads, springs etc set-up for that cam/lifter set. The machinist/engine builder who did my heads said he had a similar set-up in a c10 and it really surprised him. He also encouraged me to leave the intake valve at 1.84 instead of opening it up to 1.94 so as to maintain torque (and better gas mileage). Based on what I've read and the head gaskets purchased (Fel Pro #1094), I'm expecting my CR to be between 9.6:1 and 9.8:1. I'm no engine building expert but I do a ton of research and ask a ton of questions and this seemed to be the best route and consensus among many.

I'm just getting started back up on this truck and ordered a new rear brake line so I can just cut the old wheel cylinders out and ordered all my gaskets for the rebuild (oil pan, heads, and valve covers). I'm starting to get pumped about this ride again. Still need to purchase cam, intake and have my quadrajet rebuilt by Cliff Ruggles.

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote