View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #155
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

We do!

I stuck around late at work today to get some work done on the front driveshaft. As Larry found out on the desert trip last year, these late style flanged front shafts are easier to install/remove than the early style but GM left some extra material on the yokes. On a stock height truck it isn't much of a problem, but 4" of lift and some flexing will cause the yokes on the cv end of the shaft to hit each other and want to tear itself up. See Larry's post on the subject in the desert trip from last year.

Following his recipe I got busy with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.
The lines show where I'm knocking the corners off.

After the cuts.

Both ends done. On the right you can see the appendage about an inch long sticking up on the end of the shaft. That needs removed too.

Cut off the appendage and switched to a grinder wheel from the cut-off wheel. Started shaping the ends of the yokes and smoothed things out.

Midway through the process on the yokes.

Final result. The CV turns tight without anything touching. It will get shipped off to the local driveline shop monday to get balanced and a little length added.

Got home and went right back to work cleaning up the rear shaft and the brake calipers. Still need to install the conversion u-joint for the 1/2ton shaft to the 14b yoke. Back to wire wheeling, cleanup and shooting some primer.

A few light coats of tractor black later...

Gave the Winch a scuff and laid down a final coat on it today too. Looks good.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote