View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #309
robs71k5
K5drive

Re: Softop installation no Holes

The fibre glass thickness is strategically variable through out to Header to keep cost down and the strength where it's required. I've been running around with mine now for a few years and it's one of the lightest ones I've made and have not experienced any cracks or other damage what so ever .
The part does require some fitting and trimming out of the box . I think I'm finally getting close to a workable trim template that resembles the bulk of the Blazers . It's difficult because I only have my Blazer and it had work done to the windshield corners so I wondered how close was my efforts resembled the factory design. Then after building the first one I knew I have to add more beef to them but there was no evidence that it required more beef at that point.
As they come now they are gel coated inner and outer surfaces but I tend to sand the roughness on the upper side a little and much of the gel coat is sanded off . A way to remedy that would to give it another coat of gel coat and sand again . Maybe repeat till you get desired smoothness.
I would like if I could build both sides smooth but we're talking some pretty fancy equipment . I have aquired some of it just not all of it yet. But I'm also not keen on vesting myself to heavily into this as I'm supposed to be retired. But I'm busier now than I was when I was working
I'm guessing the thickness might be 1/4 -3/16 thickness maybe as thin as 1/8 in places .
As I said before they are each hand layed per a strategic map and each one goes through my hands before seeing your hands.
I do take pride in these parts and each one is built as if I where to use on my own Blazer.

A keen eye to body work will go along way to your finish .
Trim and fit each end till you get the each ends forward edge so it's not in the bottom of the rain gutter untill the mating surfaces at the 5/16 bolts at each end of the Header are touching before drilling the 5/16 holes Reason for this is two fold . Torquing the bolts down before trim and fitting could crack the fibreglass at the 5/16"bolts and the seal will not leak when installed properly . Then eye ball the leading edge for its contour and sand as required to give it a flowing radius across the trucks windshield. If you take your time I know you will be impressed with the install and if done correctly you will not notice the part even with your top down . Hope your questions where answered . Regards Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
How tough is the fiberglass? Is it fairly ridged and what is the thickness?
I
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote