View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #23
Techie79

Re: My 1958 GMC 100 Stepside Budget Build

I have been so busy the last few weeks with the holiday season activities, watching our high school football team win the Oklahoma 5A state championship, and getting our oldest son married so there hasn't been a lot of progress but I thought it was time for an update.

I have started the rust repairs by taking on the drivers side cab corner and now I understand why the body guys charge so much for these kinds of repairs.

In the builds and discussions I have read a number of good reasons to replace the inner cab corners and good reasons not to replace the inner corners and just cap them off in the cab. I decided to just cut out the rusted parts and not leave the pocket there to rust the corners again.

The corner definitely didn't come out perfect but a little body filler and I think it will turn out ok.

Next it is on to the damaged passenger step. They definitely put enough spot welds on these steps to hold them together.

I wasn't sure what I was going to find behind this filler panel but I knew it couldn't be good. When I started cutting it out I found that the floor support behind it was packed full of dirt and rust. and the bottom of the support was rusted out

Looks like I am going to be rebuilding the majority of the lower passenger side of the cab. So far it is the cab corner, step, front filler panel, inner lower door hinge pocket, outer lower hinge pocket cover, cab floor support, and floor pans. Some of the parts are already here and more on the way. Hopefully I can make some more progress this weekend.
Techie79 is offline   Reply With Quote