View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
Farm Shop

Re: 1972 K20 Super Cheyenne - Modernized Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Sweet rig for sure really makes a guy wonder how it started life if it was a swb with 8 lugs and big block swapped in swapped in a 2wd or what but it sure is pretty!
We've wondered the same thing for years, but we're pretty confident that the cab, chassis, and front sheetmetal all belong together and are original 1972 K20 Cheyenne Super. The 396 is out of a 1965 passenger car (first year of the 396, so probably an Impala), and the bed was probably sourced from a salvage yard back in the day. I just noticed after 15 years that the bed trim is actually long bed pieces that had been shortened to match the bed. No clue about the SM465, but that doesn't really matter any more, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Just a thought cause you mentioned some stuff about the EFI that is way over my head but have you looked into the FItech stuff? They are turning out some nice affordable stand alone products that sound much more simple than what you mentioned. Just a thought good luck
I have not looked into them, but at a quick glance they do seem to be worth a closer look, but we are set on using the Mega Squirt MS2 for this truck. We also really wanted multi-port EFI for form as much function.

My buddy actually just built the MS2 board and dropped it off last week. With a blank harness bundle and tossing him a few bucks to assemble the board, the ECU will be under $400. The original goal was to have a complete MPFI EFI conversion for under $1000, but it looks like we'll end up being closer to $1200 after fuel system, WBo2, and injectors. Granted, this is with finding deals and utilizing used/salvage yard components, so that plays into the low-ish cost.

After exposure to several different EFI platforms (EFI Live and HPT for stock GM, Holley Dominator, and Mega Squirt), I really like the MS user interface. An added bonus is Bluetooth capability. We'll set up the truck with a laptop, and then be able to fine tune in real time off our phones or tablets. I still have a lot to learn, and the best way to learn is by hands-on experience, so I'm really excited to get this rig fired up.
Farm Shop is offline   Reply With Quote