View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #230
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Hi all, back with a few pictures after a recent visit to the body shop. I think there definitely is such a thing as "body shop purgatory," but progress is really happening, and the results are so much fun to watch come together. The guys at the shop are doing amazing work, as always.

Headlight rings came back from chrome looking perfectly smooth and oh so shiny - can't wait to see them on the fenders!

Speaking of fenders, the front fenders have final primer, have been final sanded, and are ready to take some color.

Speaking of color, a few parts are finally red, once again! It has been awhile, that's for sure. I stopped by while some parts were in the middle of being color sanded, so you'll see some parts looking shiny, some not so much. Like the hood here.

Feels so good to see the cab back on the frame for the very last time and all red once again. I can't believe how much sanding there must be to do on a complex piece of sheetmetal like the AD cabs.

I'm not planning to fully upholster the inside of the cab. Want to keep a more classic, quasi-original look, so behind the seat just gonna upholster up to the belt line and then bare sheetmetal up to the ceiling for a simple headliner. That does mean way more prep work and finish sanding inside the cab, though. But I think having lots of the paint visible inside the cab will be a great look. You can see the area around the rear window getting finished off nice.

Final finish starting to come through on the outside of the cab. I think the area that is going to be hidden behind the box may not get quite the highest level of polish, and that's just fine.

Doors are done and looking great! Can't wait to see them with the door handles, mirrors, and stainless window trim.

Inside of the drivers door. You can see I'm just planning on doing a simple rectangle of upholstery around the door and window mechanisms - like the stock cardboard parts. The rest will be paint instead of a fully upholstered door. I think the horizontal stamping on the inside of the door was just too cool to cover up!

Dash and door jambs all polished up. Like the doors - can't wait to see the dash all assembles with steering wheel, gauges, glovebox doors, and trim. Hard to describe just how good this color looks in person - the pictures don't do it total justice. Just a gorgeous deep cranberry red - perfect for Marvin!

I was disappointed that I couldn't get a very good picture of the beautiful gold metallic in the paint. You can just kind of see it in this picture where the cowl makes its curve downwards. It is such a nice bonus to the paint color - you don't really perceive it unless the light hits it just right, and then it looks quite brilliant!

I'll get to visit again in about a month. Way too long for my patience, but I'll need to find a way to deal. Marvin will be at the mechanical shop by then, and there is a chance I may be there to hear the motor get fired up for the first time. Cannot wait!