View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Just a quick update...... I did get the blower to fit. My original intent was to do a mock-up check for pulley alignment and anything else needed to be modified before I removed the engine for upgrades to handle the new power.

Once I got everything fitted, well, it wasn't much more work to hook everything up and give it a try. If I had 2 extra thumbs I'd give it 4 thumbs up. I put about 100 miles on it and probably burned off 1000 miles of rubber. Every intersection I hoped the light would turn red before I got there. The fun part wasn't starting the burnout while taking off, it was getting on the other side of the intersection then begin the burnout.

After I had my fun it is time for the upgrades, pistons are now Speed Pro forged pistons, the cam is new and designed for a boost vs naturally aspirated engine. The cast iron heads are upgraded to higher flowing Aluminum heads, and a new main body for the carb to flow more air.

Having a taste of what the blower did makes me very excited to see what I'll have with the up grades.

Sometimes the fun wasn't driving the truck, it was seeing the reaction of the unexpected appearance of a blower when I opened the hood for someone to see.

Hard to believe all this acually fits under the hood. Nearly ready to go back into the truck.

In the above picture the transmission has also been torn apart for up grades. Two changes having to do with sprag cluthes being able to over 500 horse power. Another change is to change the first gear ratio from 2.52 ratio to 2.75. The numeric value as I understand will get me a 4.10 final ratio as compared to my 3.73 that I have had. Did someone say burnouts??? lol

If I have this figured right, my 3.73 will be 4.10 in first gear, second and third will be 3.73, til I engage the Gear vendors overdrive which takes me to a 2.91 rear ratio.

One cool benefit of the Gear vendors is you can turn on the overdrive while sitting still, then gas it moderatly agressively, it will automatically engage at 20 miles an hour. What's this mean, without doing anything it'll bark the rear tires at 20 miles an hour. Yes, I like my toys and switches.

I never had a picture of the overdrive attached to the transmision, I have it all out now so a good time for a picture.

There we are, all summer I figured I'd be taking care of a few odds and ends and it would be an inexpensive winter, ha, that didn't happen. Although, I must say, I'm just as excited about getting it this year as I was last year. Gotta love these old truck projects.