View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
mrf1002u

Re: Help needed for power steering 55 first series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
What are you using for linkage? The larger TF trucks have pretty large steering components. Is it different with the AD trucks? I suppose if it's never going to be loaded to max capacity it would be ok?

Good question. Haven't gotten that far yet. The pictures are of others trucks. I know some of the pitmans can be ordered with toyota on one end and chevy ball joint or drag link taper at the other end since they do chevy axle swaps under those trucks.

This one appears to have been reamed for the stock drag link. This one also has the stock toy pitman that was heated and flattened. I wouldn't condone that though. If the commercially available flat pitmans are too short, I will be looking at tucking the gear box inside the frame and then have the pitman shaft come through the frame to make the drag link level to the ground. May not be an option, even with an I6. One of the pics shows one done this way, but not sure what truck it is. Chevy engine, but that means nothing. Also I confess that I know nothing about the size of Big Bolt truck steering components. Might not even apply. Just an option to look into.

A member on another forum claims the safe way to lengthen a pitman is to cut off the wanted ends and then fit them INSIDE holes in a 3/4" thick bar stock cut to desired length. Then they are welded into the holes with low carbon rod. This way the weld only retains the ends in the holes and the bar stock takes the force. Sounds logical but I am no metallurgist. When I asked, the maker of one of the flat "billet" pitmans not pictured, told me it wasn't feasible to make a custom length one, based on cost.

Larry W.
Attached Images

mrf1002u is offline   Reply With Quote