Thread: Roll Cage.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Roll Cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
...Im trying to figure if I want rear bars or not.
If you don't have the rear bars in a traditional configuration with a main hoop, then it's not a cage - it's a roll bar. You'll have to build it to SFI-25.4B specs to go without the rearward bars because then it has a funny car cage, the driver is positioned in front of the main hoop, and the frame/structure behind it is not certified. Prior to that spec, the only way I was able to build a roll cage with no bars extending through the top of the cab, was to build the cage in a roadster configuration where it doesn't matter what the body type is just as long as the roll cage meets the spec and passes tech. Just like my funny car chassis I built, the portion that gets tech'd, sonic tested, and certified each year is just the portion above the shoulder hoop - in this center steer and a roadster (left steer) configuration, that's the roll cage. Note that there is no significant structure behind the cage. That's how many of us with a funny car chassis are able to run funny car and fuel altered since the body type doesn't matter with this type of roll cage:
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote