View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #30
GMJimmy

Re: Torque specs on lug nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I'd agree with GMJimmy about greasing the studs, but what about antisieze?

I have used it in the past on my Audi and can't remember if it was called for or it was some innovation I came up with because they were rusting on (winter salt wheels).

Anti seize is basically a grease with tiny metal particles in it. The soft aluminum or copper particles is what keeps the nut or bolt separate from the other. The only reason to put a lubricant on a wheel stud or nut would be if they are seized and a good penetrating oil or diesel fuel is fine for removal but if the studs are rusty they should be replaced. They are cheap and easy to replace. Keeping hub caps covering them or using covered nuts will keep them from corroding. If you absolutely must use a lubricant on wheel studs (and I would only use it on a boat trailer or a trailer that is going to be exposed to harsh conditions) use a graphite or lithium type grease very sparingly and ONLY on the threads. Only problem with this type of grease is it will eventually wash off and need re application. When I owned a boat trailer I used the small plastic slip on covers to keep the crap out and the studs didn't rust. The best method I have found to keep things free is maintenance. When you pull the wheels to check the brakes as you should once a year, you are cleaning the threads in the process.
ANY factory repair manual I have ever read has never suggest to use a lubricant of any kind on wheel studs and nuts.
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote