View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
Spry69

Re: Drop spindles and increased track width..

I measured for backspacing using all the resources on this site. It was my first time doing it, but did get confirmation from my tire guy. More backspacing would definitely fix the issue, but buying more wheels is not an option. The wheels are 20x9 with 5.5" BS. Tires are Toyo Proxi ST II, 275-45-20. I was going off of PB Fab, and wanting to end at a dropmember. The figures I referenced talked of a 30" tall tire setup. These measure out at 29.7". When everything was mounted, I had a 2.5" drop spindle and 1.5" drop springs, and nothing rubbed. But stance wise, it didn't look right to me. There was a 1" gap between the front fender lip and the rubber. I changed to springs to 3" drop, and all went bad. I would love to find a drop spindle that would retain the stock (or narrower) track width but for now I'm going to put the longer springs back in so I can get back to driving it. I'm at the firehouse today, but tomorrow I am going to pull some numbers on my track width to compare to stock, and other members who have stock suspension with different drop spindles.

Easiest fix would have been more back spacing and/or a 275/40/20. I went back and forth a hundred times on both of these decisions. Both were new to me and a bit daunting. With this being a pretty big purchase for me, I definitely put much thought and effort into it. But didn't account for the additional drop that I planned. I appreciate all assistance in correcting this issue. Thanks guys.