View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #186
diceman50

Re: Supercharger for my Apache

With almost 500 miles on the new engine and supercharger the truck is running great. EE is still tweaking the VE tables but it is mostly to correct something he doesn't like in the data logs and nothing you can feel while driving. The trucks drivability is very good and is comparable to a modern vehicle. Acceleration is very smooth with no hesitation, stumbles, surging, or hiccups at all.

While researching the McCulloch supercharger I discovered that the ball drive system they use builds a lot of heat which can cause the need for frequent rebuilds. In an effort to be proactive I decided to see if I can supply some cool air to the oil sump of the unit.

There is a set of louvers on each side of the radiator core support for the horns. I decided to relocate the horn and use the one on the drivers side for the fresh air supply. Someone had drilled a big ugly hole it at some time probably for an A/C line so I cut the louvers out for a clear hole for the air to enter.

Then I fabricated a 3" x 6" rectangular to a 3" round transition to route air to the supercharger. I had to dust off my geometry skills from high school and do some Google research to pull it off, but it worked out pretty well. I want to get a thermocouple attachment for my Fluke meter to test the effectiveness.