View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #29
Spry69

Re: Drop spindles and increased track width..

"Sounds like a good plan. The waiting will be tough. Kind of like how many days till Christmas when your a kid.
Jimmy"

Definitely will be a hard wait. I just finished up waiting the six weeks for my wheels, too bad I didn't plan a little better. Oh well, it will give me time to strip down the truck and clean and paint the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
I haven't pulled the trigger on my front from porterbuilt for my 64 yet. Did you get the deluxe stage 2 front kit? Does that come with upper & lower arms? Did you go 1" in & 1" forward on the arms? With the McGaughys disc kit I think I'd need the 63 70 ball joints. So what's not used when you swap over to the dropmember? Sorry for so many questions I gotta call porterbuilt lol
No worries about questions. I had all the same questions myself.
I went with the stage 2 deluxe front. The deluxe comes with the upper control arms. That is the only difference between the stage 2 standard and deluxe. Per the recommendation of Dave at PB, I went with 1" narrowed only. I want to end up with a front drop member, so if you do the 1" forward now with the stage 2, then when i switch to the drop member the wheels will be too far forward. If you want to stay with the stage 2 front, then go with the 1" forward to center your wheels. The 1" narrower option would depend on what your set up needs.
When changing from the stage 2 to the front drop member, everything crosses over except for the shocks and shock relocation brackets I believe.
In the rear I went with the drop member instead of the stage 2 rear because Dave said almost none of the stage 2 rear would cross over. I think just the bags. So I felt it was worth a few hundred more to not have to waste money later.
As far as ball joints, you'll need whatever set up you have. I got the 73-87 joints with the front kit. I'm going to get the CPP spindles to gain back the 3/4" on my track width. For now, I will just need to get new tie rod ends for a 73-87 as well. Any other questions, I'll do my best to help out.