Thread: 64 Burb Rescue?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Techstudent

Re: 64 Burb Rescue (With photos)

Well, got the title in hand so I officially own this heap. Here she is in all her glory! I'm pretty excited but also realist enough to know I've got a project ahead of me.

Definitely in need of overhaul but I think it's worth saving the old war horse.

Goal is to get her on the road by the end of summer (should keep me out of jail) and body work will come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstudent View Post
Hey all,

Pretty new to the forum and I have been ogling a 64 suburban 4x4 in a town adjacent to mine. It has a manual 4 speed on the floor and straight-six (owner said 292) but I am not familiar enough to confirm this. Interior is complete and seemingly in good condition.

In any event, I stopped last November to ask the owner if he cared to sell and he was on the fence at the time. I finally stopped for a second time yesterday and he was willing to sell and we agreed on a price that I can manage and he is happy with. We shook on it so, for all intents and purposes, it's a deal and he said he wouldn't sell it out from under me.

Does have some rust. Needs rockers and the rear quarters are rusting through with spots with bondo peeling away but, I think, it's fairly manageable. Floors and frame seem very solid. Definitely needs work as it's been sitting and was used to plow but it seems unmolested and complete down to the steel wheels.

Are replacement rockers and parts for these old Chevy sixes readily available? Also, it was used to plow so do I need be concerned about possibly frame twisting or tweaking and how would I look for this?

Haven't been able to get this thing off my mind for months and I'm trying to be realistic about the extent of the project but, man, some sweet looking old iron there.

I would be thoroughly grateful for any advice about what to look for and stay clear of.
Attached Images

Techstudent is offline   Reply With Quote