View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #3
mooseboy84

Re: high flow catalytic converter

Thanks for the response.

I have static timing at 12 degrees with a generic HEI unit. Yes I have an edelbrock Everyone hates them, but it came with the truck. I believe its a 1406 model. I just rebuilt it and it works, but does need to be dialed in. I adjusted the idle with vacuum gauge so thats good to go. I do not believe it is running excessively rich at idle, it just has that partially unburnt hydrocarbon smell, not a flooded carb raw gas smell. It basically smells like a damn smog shop, lol. I was adjusting the carb this past weekend outside and the damn smell of it is what made me think about installing cats.

I am aware cats will burn up, especially if theyre running very rich. I purchased an AF ratio gauge that I need to have welded in, so I can fine tube the carb. I also have a couple small cracks in the exhaust I need to weld up LOL. The exhaust setup uses headers that connect to 2.5" dual exhaust long tubes with glass packs near the back. (Yea its loud) The exhaust exits under the rear bumper...its a longbed.

I was going to have exhaust cracks welded and bung installed and work on dialing in the carb, and after all that, was still looking at cats just to clean up the remainder.
mooseboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote