View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #330
Billhilly

Re: 41DegreesSouth Build Thread

Thanks Mark! Certainly nice to be driving it after all this time! I didn't make it down to Cruise Martinborough. Not sure a redneck in a 4X4 was their target vehicle Might have to reconsider for next year.

Meanwhile, at OCD Engineering, I wanted to do something about these fans/surging motor temps. Couldn't find the original fan so swaping back to that wasn't an option. Ended up ringing SPAL to discuss my set up. Biased or not, they said for my vehicle/motor combo they would recommend a minimum 3000cfm, and the two 12's that I had were topped out round 2200cfm. They do a 13 1/2" fan with a increased blade pitch and uprated motor that would give me around 4500cfm for the pair. Much as I wasn't spending any more money (!) I bought a pair of motors/fans and shipped them down. Time was of the essence because I had another trip planned. I wanted to open it up as much as possible so drew up a sguare to round shroud pattern, and had it laser cut.
Laser is so cool, they even etched the fold lines for me! Not up to CO standards but ok for my first square/round attempt. Top and bottom sloped 5mm 'back', sides vertical, and fan center is slightly left/right of opening center because combined blade diameter is more than radiator width (pic 4-5).
Attached Images