View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #261
theastronaut

Re: 1940 Packard 120 Convertible Restoration

To start the tail panel I started shaping it in the english wheel. I pulled the trunk lid out of storage so I could check the shape with a profile gague and compare it to the tail panel.

The bottom half of the tail panel I used as a template had a tighter bend starting halfway down so I only made the top half match the decklid. The bottom half was also shaped on the english wheel but I used a inner tube over the top wheel so it only rolled the metal in one direction instead of stretching the metal in two directions. I already had enough shape from side to side; the soft inner tube kept the e-wheel from stretching the metal and only added a tighter bend top to bottom.

With the overall shape finished, I tipped the top edge on the bead roller, starting with the lower edge first. I fine-tuned the edge with a hammer and t-post dolly in the vice, then stretched/shrunk the edge to match the shape of the trunk lid edge. With that edge shaped I tipped the second edge and finished folding it over with a hammer and dolly.

Added the offsets for the overlappng flanges on the bead roller.

The bottom edge was the same process as the top, tip/hammer/shrink/stretch to match the original shape. The second edge folded the opposite direction as the top, so I taped a shim to a heel dolly to make it the correct height, then folded the metal over against the dolly.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote