View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #140
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Re: 72 Suburban Making it mine

Not sure I have mention it, but I have had a chronic oil leak at the very rear of the LS since I put it in. It made it through power tour and right after started leaving a drip or two, eventually getting bad enough it was pooling oil.

Then the panhard bar broke... and it sat all winter.

I recently ordered an adjustable panhard bar from GEARBOXGARAGE here on the site, a great looking piece for the money.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550494

I also picked up a pair of energy suspension trailing arm bushings to firm up the rear movement that the worn out bushings may be allowing.

Finally, I pulled the trigger on a Yank 3200 Stall. Should be in next week

Last night I finally had a chance to drop the trans and exhaust out of the way. I spotted what I feel is the cause of my leak.

The long bolts in the rear of the pan are seeping oil down the threads and shaft of the bolt. This area of the rear cover shouldn't have oil, so either its a bad casting or the machinest drilled the holes to deep and now it see's oil pressure...... I feel a thread sealer will keep this from leaking from here on out. The pan gasket is dry at the rear, its only moist from oil around these bolts and forward as I didnt have a cover over the flexplate .

This was after I had sprayed with brake clean...

You can see the pan gasket is dry to...

I went ahead and ordered a set of ARP pan bolts to upgrade what is there.

While I have the exhaust down, I plan to cut the trailing arm cross member and re-route the exhaust through that area to keep it from hanging below the frame. I love to do that type of work, so looking forward to this part to!

First update in a while, as the kids sports allow, I'll work on the Sub.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote