View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
slikside

Re: Quadrajet Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Don't let anyone fool you! You need to contact Cliff via email at above address. His kits are ethanol tolerant, and he can send you all the parts you need to tailor your carb to your specific engine. Get his book, all this would be the best thing you could do for a "rebuild", and not all that much money...although will be more than just a "kit" from the twilight zone or Horeilly's...

Agree...that's what I did. Couldn't be happier with the results. I did have him rebush the primary shaft, but I did the rest with his book and kit.

Also highly second the idea of taking lots of pics, they are priceless for reassembly, although Cliff's book is quite good.

One last point...you said it's the original carb to your dad's 72. Find out the date stamp on the carb your buddy's buddy is rebuilding and compare the two. All q-jets are NOT created equal. In general, the later ones are better. I have a '72 also, but It was changed out waaaaay back in the day, and truck actually has a '76 q-jet on it. They were learning from and modifying these carbs until they were obsolete when fuel injection became common....that's why the later dates are better.