View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #24
JPBrecheisen

Re: 1960 C-50 Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDiver View Post
Thanks mrolds88....I am very intimate with my voltmeter, just not sure what I should be reading where. I think that will become self evident once I get into it. It is still a DC system so it shouldn't be too hard. The issues I am least confident about are the brakes, turn signals, and generator.

Brakes: Not as worried about. Should just be a contact somewhere on the assembly.

Turn signals: Probably where I worry worst because I have to get into the steering column and not sure how it comes a part and if I will get it back together. Although it is a 56 year old truck when things were made to be taken apart. I think of modern steering columns and cringe about taking them apart.

Generator: Not that worried but I need to do a little research. My whole life has lived in the world of alternators so a generator is somewhat foreign to me.

Once I get those, power distribution and making it work won't be an issue at all I think.
As mrolds88 noted, start easy stuff first. Bulbs, fuses, fuse contact tabs, then get deeper if needed. I had one that only needed the fuse prongs cleaned.

The steering columns are not bad on the old trucks. Manuals help. Recommend you locate this book. It will have diagrams and testing procedures for things like the generator. So long as it's original, you have a generator. Alternators didn't come until "63 or so.

The three wires are armeture, field, and case ground.
Attached Images

JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote