View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
wildearp

Re: Another gas gauge issue

Gee, I bought that sender in 2012. I installed it Sunday, calibrated and tested it on an empty and full tank out of the vehicle, just like CI youtube video. I tested it twice and it tracked very well. I drained the tank, reinstalled and put in 10 gallons of gas. Nice, 1/2 tank. I drove to the gas station and filled it up. Full tank. Half way across the parking lot it dropped to 2/3. The next day it read full. Commuting all week now, I should have 1/2 tank. It still reads full.

I would recommend not buying a floatless sender. I have to drop the tank again to put in a normal one.

The failed unit I removed had an air gap in the winding to the wiper through about 75% of its movement. The plastic on the winding expanded and it made no contact. Today I got out my meter and the ground side of the winding to the top flange where you hook up your ground wire reads 800000 ohms. It is practically open between the flange and the bar that attaches to it and it should be close to zero. This was a sender that came from CPP with their aluminum tank.

I found this thread while looking for anyone that may have had issues with a floatless sender.

What sucks is I have a bad Dolphin sender in another truck and yet another bad sender in one of my Model A tanks.

Now I wonder who makes a reliable sender. I do not know.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote