View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #231
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

last weekend the weather suddenly improved (in Holland that means no rain) so I took out the truck for a real shakedown, after some tinkering on Friday night.

this is what my carb setup looked like before:

a dried up Holley 4 barrel with on top some weird (red) spacer which held the IMPCO 300A mixer for the propane.
I took that of, because a while back I bought an IMPCO 425 mixer, which made the Holley dispensable..seeing I don't run on petrol, only propane.
the 425 came with a throttle plate, and I only had to buy a new spacer at the bottom, because the old one had cracked. But as always you get that little surprise, the 425 doesn't have any vacuum connectors for my ignition advance, so I had to drill a hole in the bottom spacer and 'McGuyver' a vacuum connection. (yes to mcguyver is actually a verb in Holland)

here's the Holley with spacer

this is the IMPCO 300A mixer

this is what a carb looks like after running years and years only on propane

this is my new spacer in which I had to drill a hole and use a threading tap set..or whatever it's called in English. then drilled a hole through a bolt, put in there and sawed off the head... it works like a charm!

and this is what the 425 mixer looks like..much cleaner look.

I then hooked everything up and it started inmediatly! the set came of a running car, so I had to adjust absolutely nothing!
here's a movie of me and my son Dawid on our way to the north of Holland during the shakedown.
https://youtu.be/tY0x6cXCUaY

oh and before I forget..what was the result of the shakedown?
the oil pressure line toward the gauge leaks a bit.. so I had some oil in the cab.
the right header is rubbing against the chassis, this probably happened when I raised the tail of the transmission to get the left header not to rub against the lower control arm.
I have no temperature gauge..so no clue what the operating temp is of the engine.
and I hate the 2 separated exhaust sounds.. I'll have to redesign it including a crossmember or and X.
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 05-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote