View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #227
NastyBuzzard

Re: Let's Build A 1 Ton Crew Cab 4x4

I am not sure what the differences are between the 454 and the 6.5, I thought there were none as far as mounting goes. Idk, it may be something on my end b/c I did put this all in myself. I swear I measured like 10x to make sure I only had to drill the least amount of times possible. I just need to know if I am using the wrong engine mounts.

So I have some other questions as well.

I remember seeing a lot of these style xmembers with spacers, do I need the spacers? I cant remember if they just spaced down the bolts for easy access, I don't think it actually spaced it from the frame. Just can't remember.

My original plan was to move my shock mount up, mirroring the DS shock mount in front of the axle, then just removing the shock mount on axle to the other side and have both shocks just come out front. However, if I do that I noticed my rear brake proportioning valve (whatever you want to call it, applies more brake to rear with heavier loads.) is right in the way. I kinda wanted to keep it. Is it worth it to keep?

How much exactly do I need to remove from rear of frame and what holes to be drilled? I am trying to finish rear of the frame as far as drilling so I can come back and weld up some unnecessary holes and stuff. Plus I just really want to be done drilling holes in the back of this frame. I am ready to clean it up, paint it and get the bed on.

Which hitch should I use? The one on the far left my friend and I made copying one off another friends squarebody truck. It is pretty hefty. The middle one is from a K5 blazer and the one on the far right is from the 78 1 ton crew 4x4.

Another funny tidbit of info... All the work I did this weekend was with a messed up engine lift. I let my friend borrow it and when I picked it up Saturday it got tipped over and the rod came out the cylinder and spilled fluid everywhere. I stuck it back in and it would lift but sometimes it would leak down and I would have to pump while trying to align. My friend did end up picking me up another one from harbor freight and came and we put it in Sunday. After all the heavy lifting was done of course.

Planning to order the tank, straps and sending unit today.
2010 CTS V- The "NastyBuzzard"
1979 Trans Am - Eventually getting 6.0/T56 swap with boost
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote