View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #167
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

I tackled my transmission tunnel over the past couple of weekends. Yes, you heard me right, couple of weekends. It's been HOT as hell in KC the past couple of weekends so my garage time has been a bit limited, plus, took me a bit of time to figure this one out.

I wanted to make a transmission tunnel that was easily removable so I could access the transmission bolts, cooler lines, etc. easily. I started by making a perimeter frame out of 16 GA metal. Once I got the perimeter frame made I simply laid a piece of poster board in it to get a template for the tunnel. I found the easiest way to mark the template was to use spray paint so as to no disturb its position in the frame.

I then cut out the poster board and taped it in the frame. I also located the hole for the transmission shifter and got everything test fitted and in place. I then used the poster board template to mark a piece of 20 GA sheet metal and cut it out.

I used a propane tank to get a curve in the tunnel along with tweaking it by hand. The nice thing about the frame was that I was able to work on the tunnel on a bench rather than in the car. The 16 GA frame was stiff enough not to get tweaked out of shape while fitting the tunnel.

Below are some pics I took along the way.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 08-14-2016 at 08:49 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote