View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #80
knomadd

Re: Daves new 68 chevy swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodnears View Post
... I plan to have a pretty short exhaust system, as in it exits pretty much behind the cab within the frame rails.... Basically i am looking for a good sounding exhaust that doesnt attract too much attention. I know thats asking a lot. I have never built a vehicle before let alone chosen an exhaust system. I do have 2.5" pipe routed off the manifolds and back a foot or so to start with. I am open to suggestions.
Just a word of caution, from experience...

Having had a short exhaust system that dumped under the cab and moving it to just in front of the rear axle, you should know that the shorter the exhaust, the louder it is and the more likely it will drone/resonate inside the cab. It was awful with my Flowmaster Original 40 series mufflers. They sounded great from outside of the truck, but anything more than 15 minutes in the cab made my ears ring. After stretching it to put the mufflers under the bed mad a huge difference in the drone in the cab. They're still aggressive sounding, but not as obnoxious inside.

With that said, a milder muffler on a short system might not bee too bad. I haven't heard a short system that sounded mellow, but everyone I've seen and actually heard had an aggressive muffler on it.

Your truck is looking killer!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote