View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Some progress over the last couple weeks. Glass guy came back out and installed another new windshield using original rubber he'd picked up from a salvage yard. Seemed to go in easier and he said it fit much better than using the repro rubber gasket. The previous glass had been tough to get in, and cracked in the corner from stress after a few weeks.

Finished the front light wiring, also the back light harness other than the fuel guage senders and dual tank switch. Kit doesn't account for dual tanks so I have to figure out how to modify that. Also, the kit has no accommodation for trailer lights, and in fact doesn't have the disconnect for the driver side rear frame that the original harness has. Cut the connectors off my original harness and added them to the new taillight harness since the "no splice" trailer light harness 'T's into that disconnect.

Spent most of a day last weekend re-doing gussets on the homemade trailer hitch receiver that came on the truck. Got it all welded up, painted and mounted up. Looked pretty good. Then tried to stick in a drop hitch I had and it didn't fit - too big. I think that the square tube must have been for class I or II. Ordered a new class IV that should be here next week.

Also finished the redo of most of my engine harness. Those connectors are made to take and hold the terminals - removing the terminals... not so much! Got it all done but down by the starter.

Thought I'd hook up my new battery and test the lights I've gotten hooked up. Doesn't pay to get ahead of myself I guess. Soon as I connected it the horn went off. Guess I know where my troubleshooting will need to start. Took that as a sign and just went back to re-doing terminal crimps. Any case, I am knocking out the wiring and the end of that phase is in sight!
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote