View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #65
Mrturner1

Re: Diagnosing a misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>when I revved the motor up, the vacuum went up....isn't it supposed to be the opposite?<<

You got something right, maybe? When you blip the throttle, manifold vacuum should drop for a split second, then rise as rpm increases if you are holding the throttle.

The port on the side of the metering block is ported vacuum. Vacuum will rise at this port when you blip the throttle. 6" at that port means you don't have the mixture screws adjusted properly, you don't have the idle speed screw adjusted properly and you probably don't have the timing set properly.

The Power Valve is selected by dividing the manifold vacuum by 2. The 6.5 or 65 is "Hg that the valve opens. You would use that if your manifold vacuum is 13"Hg.

The problem you've got is that everything is too far out of adjustment to know what your actual manifold vacuum is.

A lot of guys are going to disagree, but I'd remove the Vacuum Advance from the manifold vacuum and leave it off and that port plugged until you get your other problems solved.

If this helps.

What is your initial timing?

What is the idle rpm?

If Comp cams say .020" then set the damn lash at '020" and stop experimenting.

Just to be clear .020" is a light drag on the feeler gauge. .021" is a heavy drag and .019" feeler will drop through.
I think the low vacuum is directly related to the big cam with lots of overlap, not all the settings wrong. Timing is set at 18* initial, 36 total all in at 3000 rpm. And the mixture screws are 2 turns out from bottomed. Idle rpm is 800
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote