View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #17
Shelby0099

Re: Project Farm Fresh: 1967 C10 LWB <10k miles

I do agree with you, brand new innards and a really distressed look outside is definitely awesome. It's a challenge to get that artistic look just right. I just think a different color between box and cab just doesn't look right. That's what my truck is right now, spots of brilliant patina and things that just don't look right.

I agree it's very difficult, that's why I have such a dilemma. I need to fix the rot. The beautiful patina is only on a small portion of the entire truck. Even if I were to preserve it, it would be a miracle to get the rear of the truck to match.

There are so many directions, it's taken a long time to figure out how to proceed. I need to fix the radiator support rot and get a new radiator. After looking at pictures again with all the pieces on the truck, it may make more sense to just fix the rear suspension, and figure out how low i'd want to go with the drop. Make that look good first, spring, wheel and tire combo and then attack the rocker arm and door patches and then deal with patina.

I prefer the distressed paint look more than a rust look. If I can experiment with some Rustoleum, and match the color then maybe I can try to match the patina in the front. My idea of patina might be different than someone else's I guess.
In any case, it's best to attempt this in layers and not be reckless, and if it's just not working then I'll paint the entire truck and try the distressed process from that point. At least it would be consistent front and rear.

That's a good approach, spray bomb from far away....

Looking at the fenders again, maybe I shouldn't touch them. Before I do anything to them I should try to match that look in other areas, it's worth a shot, they are so beautiful the way they are.
Shelby0099 is offline   Reply With Quote