View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #7
joedoh

Re: Rear suspension setup questions

have you decided how you will mount the body? there are generally two ways people do it, either mounting the body high so the bottom of the frame is even with the bottom of the running boards, or mounting the body lower so the running boards are the lowest part of the truck and the frame is tucked up inside the body a bit.

with the first way, if you bag the truck to lay out flat, you will need a big notch and lots of extra parts, tubular control arms, drop spindles, tie rod notch kit, toe correction steering, especially if you plan to run a decent sized wheel. the s10 front suspension gets wonky at a big drop, the front wheels splay out and the control arms hit the frame.

with the second way, you will need a trans tunnel and maybe a driveshaft tunnel. but almost every s10 in the world will take a 5" drop (which is about how far the truck will need to drop to lay on the running boards, which will need reinforced mounts not to bend) without any special parts and you will only need a 2-3" notch in the rear even with decent sized wheels.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way because I dont mean it wrong, but do what comes first before worrying what comes next. get a rolling body swapped truck and then worry about installing a late model engine. get it running and driving and then bag it. worrying about the rear suspension at the beginning shows forethought, but is about as useful as buying a hamster ball for the hamster you will buy after you buy a cage. after you move into an apartment that allows hamsters. lots of guys tackle building a truck as a big project with lots of big and clearly defined goals when they probably should look at it as multiple projects with much smaller goals.

oh and dont run a two link.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote